Dryer Vent Cleaning
Dryer fires are one of the leading causes of household fires in the United States. Each residential dryer vent should be cleaned annually by a professional. This insures that the vent and exhaust are up to code and operational. In fact, most dryer manufacturers require an annual professional cleaning in order to maintain the dryer’s manufacturer warranty.
Even though you clean the lint trap with each load, a little bit of lint gets past that trap and accumulates in the dryer vent (the exhaust from the dryer to the outside), or dryer exhaust. A clogged dryer vent causes the dryer to overheat and that very flammable dryer lint poses a very real danger.
Advanced Warning Signs
- Clothes (especially towels or jeans) that take a long time to dry
- Clothes are hotter than usual at the end of the cycle
- Flapper on vent hood doesn’t open when dryer is on
- Clothes dryer is hot to the touch on the outside of the unit
- The dryer is shutting off before the cycle is completed (a safety control indicating that the dryer has exceeded a safe temperature)