The air we breathe is invisible, and for the most part, we never see all the particles in it! However, our bodies have to deal with everything we breathe in, and the result can be health problems we don’t understand because we don’t know where they’re coming from.
The team at DUCTZ is very familiar with the types of particles that can get into residential and commercial HVAC systems and affect everyone. In today’s blog, we are going to review the most common air pollutants that trouble HVAC systems and the people who breathe the air they put out.
Common Indoor Air Pollutants
- When we talk about “mold,” we’re talking about types of fungus. They grow both indoors and outdoors. Some of them are dangerous and others are harmless. In some people, mold can cause an allergic reaction that includes swelling, coughing, wheezing, skin irritation, headache, nasal stuffiness, and irritation of the throat or eyes. Many people experiencing these symptoms will blame them on seasonal allergies or chronic health issues when many of their problems could be solved by getting their ducts cleaned.
- This colorless, odorless gas is produced when uranium breaks down in the earth’s crust. It isn’t dangerous at low levels, but if it builds up in your home or business and you get exposed to it in high levels, it can increase your risk for lung cancer. It can only be detected by kits or trained professionals, and if your home or business does have high levels of radon, it should be removed by a professional.
- This type of pollutant is also called environmental tobacco smoke. It is mostly generated by tobacco products that haven’t completely burned. It can cause irritation in the throat, eyes, and nose in the short term. Long-term exposure can cause smoker problems for non-smokers, problems like bronchitis, lung cancer, wheezing, and pneumonia. Asthma attacks can also be triggered by secondhand smoke.
- The obvious solution to this problem is not smoking or allowing others to smoke in your home. If you have moved into a place whose previous occupants were smokers, we recommend you contact us for professional duct cleaning and air cleaning services.
- This odorless, colorless gas is produced when fossil fuels aren’t combusted completely. It prevents your body from using oxygen, causing dizziness, fatigue, confusion, nausea, and elevated heart rate. A high concentration of carbon monoxide can be fatal, and that is why it is so important to have a carbon monoxide detector in your home or business.
- In addition to having carbon monoxide detector, you should contact us for yearly inspections of your heating systems, which can be major carbon monoxide producers if they aren’t functioning correctly. Lastly, never turn to a gas stove when it comes to heating your house!
- Another byproduct of malfunctioning heating systems, this is a corrosive, toxic gas that causes respiratory irritation. At low levels of exposure, it worsens lung function and is the worst enemy of anyone with asthma or lung disease. It is also very dangerous for children. At high exposure levels, it can cause liquid to build up in the lungs at fatal levels. It can also cause permanent lung injury.
- This is a mineral that is found naturally all over the planet. It isn’t dangerous when intact, but when fibers of it get airborne, they can be inhaled into the lungs and cause lungs disorders like asbestosis and lung cancer. If you’ve never heard of asbestosis, it is a condition in which the lungs get inflamed, causing troubled breathing, coughing, and permanent lung damage.
- Even though lead is metal, particles of it can get airborne and be inhaled into the lungs. Up until 1978, lead was a common ingredient in house paint, which can chip and send toxic lead particles into the air. Exposure to lead particles can damage your nervous system, brain, red blood cells, and kidneys. Children can suffer delayed growth, lower IQ levels, behavioral problems, and shortened attention spans.